Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hooray! 20 weeks 6 days



IT'S A GIRL!!!

I had my 20 week ultrasound on Tuesday, January 12. There was a lot of build up to this day - Jimmy and I were so anxious to find out if we were having a boy or girl and our friends and family were excited to hear the news as well. I felt like it was a girl all along; Jimmy was hoping for a girl but really thought it was a boy because of his family's reproductive history. [Note: the last female McIntosh was born around 1885] They baby was being modest, so it took some patience and poking with the ultrasound wand to get her to show us the money shot, but eventually we got it! You have no idea how shocked and surprised we were when the ultrasound tech told us our baby is a girl! We had to ask if she was totally sure a couple times; we just couldn't believe it. Of course after that we had to call and text everyone we know, and they were all so excited for us. Jimmy's dad was especially happy and proud. It was such a great moment, getting to see our little lady swimming around and doing the robot and whatever else babies do in the womb. My doctor looked over the ultrasound images and said everything looks great! Her heartbeat was 149 bpm and she's perfect. Just perfect.

After we left the doctor's office we went to start the registry. We spent about 4 hours between Target and Babies 'R' Us and registered for most of the gear we will need. Then we decided to tackle baby names. I was sure this would be a very stressful experience since both Jimmy and I are very opinionated people and choosing the baby's name is a huge undertaking. We decided to each make a list of our favorite names, trade lists, mark it down to four names, trade back and pick our two favorite on our own lists. Here's what we came up with:

Jimmy's List: Elizabeth, Abigail, Zoey, Helen, Emma, Brianna, Leah
My list: Lydia, Abigail, Zoey, Sloane, Quinn, Charlotte, Monica, Jillian, Caroline, Elliot, Gwen

Obviously we narrowed it down to Abigail and Zoey pretty quickly since those were the common names between our lists. Jimmy was leaning towards Abigail May and I towards Zoey Claire. We both liked both names - they are both super cute for a little girl or a classy lady - so we decided to sleep on it and think about it. Well, today out of nowhere Jimmy says, "The name can be Zoey". I can't believe we agreed on a name so fast, and without any bickering! It's so nice to be able to refer to the baby as Zoey. I think it's just the cutest name ever. It makes me smile every time I say it.

We got our crib today! It's already set up and looks so great in the room. Tomorrow we're going to look at paint and fabric so we can DIY our crib bedding. It's all starting to come together!

  • How far along?: 20 weeks
  • Weight gain: -3 pounds
  • Maternity clothes: All my non-maternity pants are virtually un-buttonable. People still tell me I don't even look pregnant though. Very strange.
  • Sleep: Pretty good except I can't sleep in any more. Why??!
  • Stretch marks: Nope!
  • Movement: Yep! I love all the little kicks. Jimmy felt her kick for the first time on Wednesday!
  • Gender: Girl!!!
  • Best moment of this week: The ultrasound, hands down.
  • Food cravings: I still haven't had any cravings yet. More nausea this week though :(
  • Belly button in or out: In
  • What I miss most: My energy. I get tired and cranky way too early.
  • What I'm looking forward to: Getting the room set up, picking out bedding, seeing it all come together.
  • Words of Wisdom: "You're going to poo during labor!!!" -Jimmy
  • Milestones: The baby is growing hair! And what a furry baby she will be. :)
So so so happy right now,
Ash




No comments:

Post a Comment